January 13, 2011

The Gift of Girlfriends

I'm lucky.  Through all of the trials and tribulations we are facing right now, I have an amazing family, great in-laws and a beyond fantastic husband, all of which motivate me, challenge me, and inspire me every day.  But on top of that, I have the world's greatest friends.  I could go on and on about all of my friends, from high school, college, past jobs, the list goes on and on. But I have one group of girlfriends who are ALWAYS there no matter how much time passes between visits, phone calls and even emails. 

The other day I got an email from one of them, sent to our little group just updating us on her life and wanting to hear how we are all doing.  After almost all of us had responded, filling each other in on jobs, lack of jobs, baby talk, husband updates, family news, etc, she responded back letting us know about her off day at work that day, just needing to vent. She ended the email letting us know she wished we all lived in the same place (4 girls, 4 cities) so she could call us up to grab a beer on her and she could get a good laugh in.  It was then that I realized how great and necessary a good group of friends can be when things aren't going great.

Family is incredible, husbands are fantastic, but there's just something about your closest girlfriends that are irreplaceable.  When things aren't going great, whether in relationships, jobs, family, I truly believe every girl should have at least one girlfriend they can turn to.  I'm lucky.  I have a great group of girls to choose from.  And a group of best friends I know I will be escaping with 10 years from now, away from kids and husbands to just sit with a glass of wine for a weekend and do nothing but laugh and cry and feel how lucky we are to have each other.  The best part, it costs nothing extra to pick up the phone to chat or send an email just to catch up and get that smile.  Soon, when things are fiscally better, I plan to visit and vacation with these amazing girls more often!

Do you have a great girlfriend or girlfriends you can always turn to?  Don't forget to thank them for that, and realize they are just as glad to have you in their lives!  To my best friends, thank you.  Thank you for always knowing how to put a smile on my face and helping me to keep my life as normal as possible.  And on the same note, I'm pretty sure my husband thanks you too.  That's what makes him the best, his ability to know that sometimes a girl just needs her girlfriends!

Dancing with my amazing best friends/bridesmaids on the happiest day of my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment