January 5, 2011

I'm a Member! Are you?

So I knew I was getting older when I got excited about a dishwasher and vacuum cleaner as a Hanukah/Christmas gift.  But one of the best gifts we got this year was our Sam's Club membership.  My parents bought it for us after I lost my job knowing that we had talked about getting a membership for awhile.  Let me just tell you...we've been 3 times in the last month we've had the membership!

I just got back from a trip with my mother-in-law and I love the place more and more every time I go.  Places like Costco, Sam's, BJ's, any big box club store can be dangerous for those of us living on a budget because you don't realize that you're getting a lot but spending more than normal.  The first time I came home my husband almost choked when I gave him a list of 5 or 6 things I had bought but told him it had come to a total of $75.  It wasn't until after he came home and saw how we wouldn't have to buy paper towels for a few months did he realize its just a different way of budgeting.  We now have to realize that if a Sam's trip is coming up, our budget might be thrown off, but we will definitely make up for it.

Today I bought a 5lb bag of cheese (we like cheese around here) that doesn't expire until March.  I'm pretty sure we won't have to buy more cheese until then when we would normally be buying cheese twice a month for $3 a bag.  I also spent $14 on 500 feet of foil, another item we don't usually find coupons for.  At that price for that amount of foil, we wont have to worry about it for quite awhile.

I think I'm all out of reasons to go to Sam's right now, although while on the trip MIL and I found a few things we could buy together and split, another great way for the hubs and I to save some money.  I have a feeling that once the budget gets back in order, I will be frequenting Sam's a bit more and finding some more fun things to buy!  Plus, who doesn't love a store you can eat your way through?!

2 comments:

  1. I'm going to go ahead and admit that the whole reason I DON'T want a membership to one of these places is that I can totally see myself justifying the cost just so I can go every Saturday and eat samples for lunch...this is not wise budgeting ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Costco!! I went there to buy things for the NYE party and let me tell you, I spent 75% less than I would have if I had to buy the same amount of things at Publix (or even Kroger). The bulk purchasing may seem pricier initially, but because you get so MUCH more for your money and thus have to buy those items far less frequently, you are actually saving a great amount. The key is to buy what you NEED AND USE on a regular basis and not throw the things you just WANT into the mix! Love the blog!

    ReplyDelete